A Major in Sociology leading to the B.A. degree consists of a minimum of 32 credit hours of sociology courses with a minimum of 120 total credit hours, completion of general education requirements, and a minor or double major. All Sociological Theory Core courses, Sociological Research Methods, Quantitative Analysis, and Senior Seminar courses are restricted to majors and minors only. Some double majors may only have 31 credit hours of approved sociology courses with substitution of Research Methods courses: Psychology, Criminal Justice, and Political Science. At least three credit hours designated (W) must be in the major.
- Credit Hours: 120 hours
- Concentrations: [optional] Sociological Social Psychology; Social Problems and Policy; Organizations, Occupations, and Work; Medical Sociology
- Declaring the Major: Minimum GPA of 2.0 required; no pre-requisite courses; change of major form accepted year-round.
- Advising (For the Major): Required when GPA falls below 2.0; recommended more frequently.
- Advising (For General Education): by CHESS advising center.
- Minimum Grades/GPA: GPA of 2.0 in the major required for graduation; C or better in ALL Major courses.
- Teacher Licensure: No
- Evening Classes Available: YES (major might be completed at night).
- Weekend Classes Available: No
- Other Information: Internships, Departmental Honors, Honor Society, Concentrations, Pearson Scholarship, Study Abroad, Dual Enrollment for MA.
- Contact(s): Dr. Victoria Rankin, Undergraduate Coordinator
For a list of Undergraduate Programs, including Sociology, please visit the academics webpage.
Major Specific Requirements:
Check out the University Catalog links below to see a full break down of specific major requirements.
Please note that Sociology Core courses are restricted to Sociology Majors and Minors only.
Students can, if desired, complete a concentration in one of four substantive areas as part of the B.A. degree. The four areas are:
- Sociological Social Psychology
- Social Problems and Policy
- Medical Sociology
- Organizations, Occupations, Work
Each concentration will require a total of four (4) courses, in which one is a required course for the specific concentration and the other three courses are selected from an approved list of electives for the specific concentration. A grade of C or above must be earned in the required course and a GPA of 2.5 must be earned in the concentration. These courses will not add to the total number of hours required for the major, but will count toward the elective hours already required for the major.
- The Sociological Social Psychology Concentration will require SOCY 2161 as a prerequisite or co-requisite with three (3) electives from the following: SOCY 2112; SOCY 3261; SOCY 3267; SOCY 4150; SOCY 4263(W, 0); SOCY 4265 (W); and other courses with advisor approval.
- The Social Problems and Policy Concentration will require SOCY 2171 as a prerequisite or co-requisite with three (3) electives from the following: SOCY 2100; SOCY 3143; SOCY 3173; SOCY 3250/3251(0); SOCY 4111; SOCY 4125; SOCY 4130; SOCY 4168; SOCY 4172/4173(W); SOCY 4480; and other courses with advisor approval.
- The Medical Sociology Concentration will require SOCY 2169 as a prerequisite or co-requisite with three (3) electives from the following: SOCY 2100; SOCY 3125; SOCY 3261; SOCY 3267; SOCY 4168(W); SOCY 4169; and other course with advisor approval.
- The Organizations, Occupations, and Work Concentration will require SOCY 2115 as a prerequisite or co-requisite with three (3) electives from the following list: SOCY 3125; SOCY 4111; SOCY 4112; SOCY 4115; and, other courses with advisor approval.
Interested in declaring a major in Sociology? Check out the instructions on our Advising page.