FAQ – Sociology M.A. Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you offer a PhD Program?

We do not offer a PhD program in sociology. Our department supports several interdisciplinary PhD programs such as Organizational Science and Public Policy. If you are interested in pursuing a PhD at UNC Charlotte, please visit their websites for further information.

I did not major in sociology as an undergrad. Can I still apply?

We do not require an undergraduate degree in sociology. However, we do expect you to have enough foundational knowledge about sociology so that you know what you are getting into and are prepared for it. We hope to see good grades on your college transcript for key sociology courses such as introduction to sociology, sociological theory, research methods, and/or social statistics.

Although I am interested in Sociology, I don’t have a strong background in it. What can I do to strengthen my application?

If you are still in school, you can take some of the courses mentioned above. These courses are also available online through Coursera and other online course providers. If you have completed your Bachelor’s degree, you may consider our university’s post-baccalaureate program. More information can be found at gradadmissions.charlotte.edu/admissions/post-baccalaureate.

Can you waive my application fee?

Our graduate school waives the application fee for McNair Scholars and UNC Charlotte Employees*. The sociology department does not have the ability to waive the application fee for other people. *To learn more about eligibility for application waivers as a UNC Charlotte employee, please click here.

What is the cost of attendance?

Information about graduate tuition and fee rates can be found here: ninercentral.charlotte.edu/billing-payments-refunds/tuition-and-fees/graduate-tuition-fees. Information about the cost of living in Charlotte, NC can be found on the Internet.

Do you offer financial aid?

Yes, we have a small number of graduate assistantships to offer. Those receiving these assistantships will be required to work as TA/RA for 20 hours a week during the semesters. They receive a standard stipend for Master’s students and in-state tuition.

I am from another state/country. Assuming that I was offered a graduate assistantship, how much should I expect to pay on top of the assistantship?

If you are an international student or from out of state, you will not be eligible for in-state tuition. With the graduate assistantship, you will need to pay approximately $17,500 per academic year to cover the difference between out-of-state tuition and in-state tuition, and fees.

Do I need to submit a separate application for the graduate assistantship?

No, all accepted applicants will be automatically considered for a graduate assistantship. No separate application is required.

Can I enroll on a part-time basis?

Our program is designed for full-time students. Core courses are sequenced and offered once a year. We expect all students to start on a full-time basis. Part-time enrollment is possible in the second year, though it is not recommended because it sometimes leads to significant delays in graduation.