Academic Petition Information
What is an Academic Petition?
The Undergraduate Academic Petition application gives undergraduate students the ability to request an exception to certain academic policies, such as: late add/withdrawals, transfer credit adjustments, etc. The Petition can be accessed via the application Banner Self Service.
Once there, you can select the type of petition needed, term affected, the course involved (if applicable), then you will be asked to provide a short explanation of the petition and your reason for requesting the exception to policy. The application then routes the request to the appropriate approvers and you should hear a response within 1-3 days.
Late Withdrawal through Academic Petition
Academic Petition for Late Withdrawals are used when students wish to withdraw from a previous semester, wish to request that courses they have already self-withdrawn from be converted to a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstance (you must demonstrate an extenuating circumstance), or after the withdrawal deadlines have passed.
Academic Petitions are housed directly in the student’s Academic College. Students have one calendar year from the semester in which they took the class to submit an Academic Petition for a late withdrawal.
Academic Petitions are decided upon by the student’s Academic Associate Dean of their college. Please submit documentation directly to the Academic Associate Dean or on the Academic Petition form when filling it out. Students will receive communication directly from their college about a decision when one is made.
**Note: It is the student’s responsibility to make sure documentation gets to their Academic Associate Dean.
The Office of Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS) recommends that when preparing to submit an Academic Petition, you write a statement that addresses the following: what the extenuating circumstances are that have caused academic impact, specifically how you were impacted, and any steps you have taken to address the concern(s).
Students may still use the Health Evaluation Form (which you can download here) as supporting documentation for medical/mental health concerns. When submitting an Academic Petition on your own, the Health Evaluation Form does not need to be submitted to the SASS office. You may attach it directly to your Academic Petition. For personal and/or family emergencies, students should submit documentation that speaks directly to those circumstances.
Academic Petition Instructions
Submitting an Academic Petition online via my.charlotte.edu (In Conjunction with Withdrawals after deadlines have passed).
- Log on my.charlotte.edu
- Click on Banner Self Service
- Click on tab the reads Student Services/Student Accounts
- Click on Student Records
- Locate and click on Academic Petition. You will be navigated to the Academic Petition Portal to log in.
- Review information on the Academic Petition and click Start a New Petition. From the Petition Type drop-down menu, select the most appropriate reason for your petition type. Review information and click Continue when ready to proceed.
- Complete all relevant fields, including selection of term and courses (if applicable to the petition type). Provide detailed narrative and upload supporting documentation.
- Click submit and your petition will be forwarded to the Associate Dean of your academic college for review and decision.