Academic Petition Guidelines

Late Withdrawal through Academic Petition

Academic Petition for Late Withdrawals are used when students wish to withdraw from a previous semester, wish to request that courses they have already self-withdrawn from be converted to a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstance (you must demonstrate an extenuating circumstance), or after the withdrawal deadlines have passed.  Academic Petitions are housed directly in the student's Academic College. Students have one calendar year from the semester in which they took the class to submit an Academic Petiton for a late withdrawal.

Academic Petitions are decided upon by the student's Academic Associate Dean of their college.  Please submit documentation directly to the Academic Associate Dean or on the Academic Petition form when filling it out.  Students will receive communication directly from their college about a decision when one is made. 

Note: It is the student's responsibility to make sure documentation gets to their Academic Associate Dean.

The Office of Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS) recommends that when preparing to submit an Academic Petition, you write a statement that addresses the following: what the extenuating circumstances are that have caused academic impact, specifically how you were impacted, and any steps you have taken to address the concern(s). Students may still use the Health Evaluation Form (which you can dowload here) as supporting documentation for medical/mental health concerns. When submitting an Academic Petition on your own, the Health Evaluation Form does not need to be submitted to the SASS office. You may attach it directly to your Academic Petition. For personal and/or family emergencies, students should submit documentation that speaks directly to those circumstances.

Academic Petition Instructions

Submitting an Academic Petition online via (In Conjunction with Withdrawals after deadlines have passed).

Step 1: Log on

Step 2:  Click on Banner Self Service

Step 3: Click on tab the reads Student Services/Student Accounts

Step 4: Click on Student Records

Step 5: Locate and click on Academic Petition. You will be navigated to the Academic Petition Portal to log in. 

Step 6: Review information on the Academic Petition and click Start a New Petition. From the Petition Type drop-down menu, select the most appropriate reason for your petition type. Review information and click Continue when ready to proceed.

Step 7: Complete all relevant fields, including selection of term and courses (if applicable to the petition type). Provide detailed narrative and upload supporting documentation.

Step 8: Click submit and your petition will be forwarded to the Associate Dean of your academic college for review and decision.